Friday, July 11, 2008

Snowballs have a good chance if these people did the thermostat install...

Deceptively Difficult Concept of the Day: Water Pipe coming out of the GROUND = Cold Water; Water Pipe coming out of the BOILER = Hot Water


Oh boy...sounds like a rant coming up. Should I prepare the court papers?


Unlike previous rants about Certain Useless Package delivery Services who shall remain nameless, I've decided to leave out the name of this week's Idiotic Large Faceless Atomatonic Coropration, choosing simply to refer to them by the completely fabricated name, "High's."


Yeah...good idea. Nobody will figure THAT out...


So not long ago, I bought a washing machine. It was at least fairly exciting, because I don't often buy major appliances, and to be once and for all rid of the days of coin-operated laundry facilities was a pretty liberating experience. Since I had a discount to "High's" Home Improvement store, I decided to get my machines there...they also have commercials you may have seen on the TV advertising free next-day delivery, install, and removal of old appliances. All of this pointed me in their direction.


Not a bad intro, and the hook seems to have worked at least fairly well...this may be your most well-constructed rant ever.


Issue 1: I purchase the washer and dryer on a Tuesday, and the "Next Day" delivery was scheduled for the following monday. 6 days apparently equals 1 in the minds of "High's" employees.

Issue 2: The delivery isn't exactly "Free." You pay a delivery/install fee, then have to submit a rebate form to get the amount refunded to you in the form of a "High's" gift card to be used in the store. They're getting your money one way or the other.

Issue 3: They call on monday to schedule the deliver from "7 to 11." Not a problem, since I assume they mean 7PM to 11PM. Right around midnight is when I realized that 12AM seems like a strange time to be delivering appliances, so I go to bed and wait for 7AM on Tuesday...assuming that's what they meant, and I just got it wrong.

Issue 4: 11AM on Tuesday rolls around with nary a sign of my merchandise. I call up the store and ask where my stuff is, and their helpful reply is, "Yeah, they didn't make it out there last night." He offers to reschedule the delivery for 2 1/2 weeks later. After having a pleasant chat with the store manager, I get the delivery changed to later that day...from "5 to 8PM." (I clarified the PM part this time)

Issue 5: 8:30PM on Tuesday rolls around with nary a sign of my merchandise. I call up the store and ask where my stuff is, and their helpful reply is, "Yeah, the truck's not back yet, so they must be running late." I have another pleasant chat with the store manager explaining that if my washer and dryer aren't in my place by 9:30PM they really should not bother delivering them at all. 9:05PM, the truck rolls into the driveway. YAY!

Issue 6: Install goes smoothly and I'm blissfully doing laundry for a couple weeks before I notice something odd. Every time I do a load in "Cold" water, the boiler turns on. Thinking this is a little strange, I verify that I did in fact use the "Cold" cycle on the washer...it's a new appliance, so maybe I'm not familiar with the settings. Or maybe THEY HOOKED UP THE FREAKIN' HOSES BACKWARDS! That's right, kids...after personally showing the installers which water line was hot and which was cold, these two Captain's of Industry proceeded to hook the Hot water hose up to the cold pipe and the Cold water pipe to the boiler. I'm not even going to bother calling them up to complain, even though some of my clothes may now be shrunken. I'll just switch the hoses and start washing my colors in cold water from now on.


Or you could screw with your friends and do all your color clothes in "Hot" wafer and your whites in "Cold"!


Yeah, that would impress basically nobody.


There's nothing more impressive than a guy who can properly do his own laundry.


What about a guy who can properly hook up a washing machine?

3 comments:

Jeff said...

Wait what? Washing clothes requires a machine? I just hand them to the wife and somehow they get clean, I assumed she put them in the sink or something. You blew my mind dude.


/masochistic fakepost

Jeff said...

I meant "mysoginistic" not "masochistic", my that was embarrassing

Jeremy said...

I think masochistic would work as well. You come home from work, and "the wife" beats the crap out of you for saying that. It made perfect sense to me at the time.