Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Is YOURS?

This is a Very Super-Duper Ultra Uber X-treme Totally All-Encompassingly Low Emissions Sametime Status


That's very environmentally conscious of you, Jeremy. Thank you for that.


It's my pleasure to bring you all the best in Earth-Friendly Edutainment.

In this particular case, not long ago, I saw my first "Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle" or SULEV. The fact that it was Super AND Ultra really got my attention. I mean, really...something that is "Ultra" is already pushed to an extreme, and to be Super past that?! Holy crap, it must be good. I believe at that point, it is emitting nothing but pure rain forest.


That really seems to be the best explanation.


I took it upon myself to find out just how many superlatives there are to describe the emissions of cars, and just how much more ridiculous the constructs of them can get. As it turns out, the SULEV is probably the stupidest one. Here's the official list, since if it's on Wikipedia, you KNOW it's true:

  • TLEV: Transitional Low Emission Vehicle.
  • LEV: Low Emission Vehicle.
  • ULEV: Ultra Low Emission Vehicle.
  • SULEV: Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle.
  • PZEV: Partial Zero Emission Vehicle.
  • AT PZEV: Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emission Vehicle.
  • ZEV: Zero Emission Vehicle.


I feel well informed now. I'm going to go out today and buy a new AT PZEV. It sounds cool.

No comments: