Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Saving Myself Another 10 Bucks



“Dwayne Johnson’s Best Movie” isn’t up against very stiff competition


 I don't know who that is.  Perhaps you should refer to him as "The Rock."  


Wait, what?
Missed the joke...cool.  


So anyway, a new film came out last week called "Snitch."  In it, apparently, The Rock goes to Hogwarts and joins the house Quidditch team.  I'm not 100% sure about this because I can't be bothered to look up a plot summary.  
Not long ago, I saw a commercial for this film on TV.  If there's one thing that's more subjective and biased than movie reviews, it's commercials featuring quotes of movie reviews.  No matter how big a pile of crap a movie is, people who make commercials can find at least one positive sentence in some obscure review somewhere and use that in a commercial to make the movie seem less crappy than everyone knows it really is.  I'm actually guilty of this myself, having pored over movie reviews to compile a list of reasons to get my friends to watch One Of The Worst Movies Ever.  Many of my friends no longer talk to me.  

So this recent commercial calls "Snitch," and I'm quoting, "Dwayne Johnson's best movie."  This is all well and good out of context, but when you look at some of the garbage Dwayne Johnson has been involved in, this endorsement loses a lot of steam.  We're now comparing this movie to such cinematic triumphs as "Walking Tall," "Doom," and, of course, "Tooth Fairy."  This dossier doesn't quite put our boy Rock into the realm of Nicolas Cage when it comes to picking atrocious movies to star in, but it's not exactly a quality resume to send to movie studios looking for the Next Big Thing. 

No comments: