Wednesday, February 20, 2013

One Of Us...One Of Us...



Pedometers have no way of counting all the steps you take searching your room for your pedometer 


Well, clearly the most obvious solution is to actually wear the thing.  That way, it won't get lost in your room.  


We'll go ahead and call that "Plan A."  
So not long ago, many of my friends started getting pedometers, since most of us are volleyball players with at least a passing interest in physical fitness.  That said, many of my friends are also pretty nerdy, and some mere pedometer wouldn't do, oh heavens no.  The device of choice is the Fitbit, which is a bit more like a pedometer on crack.  This little device not only keeps track of the number of steps you take and when you take them, but it also is able to measure elevation change, distance traveled, estimates calories burned, tracks your active hours, and can even function as a sleep monitor.  It also syncs with your computer to provide fun, colorful, and maybe even informative graphs.  Exciting!  

Since I was told growing up that I should always succumb to peer pressure, I got one of these doohickeys, and it's been a faithful companion ever since.  I'm not sold on the thing.  Especially come summer time and I'll be spending some quality time with my bike...I have no idea how well this thing will be able to keep track of my activity.  I firmly believe that it will not handle that well and will grossly underestimate the activity level of cycling.  We'll all find out together. 

In order to find this sort of information out will take two things.  One of which is SCIENCE!  The other, of course, is making sure I manage to not lose the thing between now and biking season.  This has already proven to be a bit of a challenge on at least one occasion that I'm willing to tell you about now. 

No comments: