Friday, February 1, 2013

I Don't Have A Paw Paw Patch, Either


Somebody may now explain to me why there is a Clementine on my deck


Oh, your darling?  You should let her in before she's lost and gone forever.  


Or perhaps, I'm referring to the delightful little orange piece of fruit.  That's a little more likely than old-timey folk songs.  

Anyway, we've had a fair bit of snow here in the Greater Jeremy Area, and I really just never bother to shovel it from the deck in back of my house.  There's really no need...I don't plan on being back there until grilling season starts up again.  Turns out, Mother Nature tends to take care of that stuff for me now and again, as she did this past week with an Al Gore-ish heat wave that lasted like a day and a half.  So, all the snow melted from my deck, revealing right outside my back door...a single clementine.  

I don't really know how it got there.  I'm entirely certain I didn't put it there to ward off evil spirits or anything, since I've never heard of any old wives' tales regarding the spiritual properties of citrus.  I don't remember accidentally kicking one out the back door when I had it open, because I haven't had it open all that many times.  In fact, I can think of one...when I was changing the battery in my little weather transmitter.  During that time, granted, I didn't check the floor for clementines, but I like to think I would have noticed kicking one.  

Neighborhood punks usually don't pull pranks on my house, but canonically, neighborhood punk-type pranks generally involve eggs or toilet paper, not produce.  

The neighbor's cat is an occasional visitor to my deck, but I've never seen a cat carrying clementines around as hunting trophies.  I would think they make for pretty lousy sport anyway, though apparently golf balls are amazing fun.  

I'm really out of ideas as to why there would be a clementine on my deck.  Maybe I should get rid of it.  

No comments: