Thursday, February 21, 2013

Don't Get Me Started On Locutus



The US Navy’s new commercial, “Creed,” sounds a lot like a recruiting video for the Borg


Nerd!  


What?  Making Star Trek references makes me a nerd?


Generally speaking, yes. 


Very well then.  But that doesn't mean I'm wrong!  

So, by this point, everyone should be familiar with the Borg.  They are a race of aliens implanted with cybernetics in the Star Trek universe, first discovered somewhere in the 24th century.  Q was responsible for that, but that's beside the point entirely.  


You talk about these things as if they already happened, and it's not for another 300 years or so.


That's the beauty of science fiction.  Anyway, the race functions entirely as a single collective mind, with every Borg member mentally linked with every other...and there's a queen involved somehow, but whatever.  When they speak, they do so as a collective, referring to themselves as "We" at all times, and do so in a poly-tonal voice which basically is made up of every Borg voice at once.  It Sounds A Lot Like This.  

Imagine my surprise when I turn on my TV not long ago to catch the final few seconds of a Commercial For The US Navy.  The sound came on just as the script got to the part shown at the 27-second mark of that video which says, "We are...America's Navy" in a poly-tonal voice which basically is made up of every Navy voice at once.  Since there was a gap after the "We are" part, the thought never even crossed my mind that I wasn't listening to something that wasn't a Borg-Centric Star Trek episode.  

Eventually, I had to come to that realization because...as you are well aware...resistance is futile.    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I noticed that too. The navy ad freaked me out.