Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Multiple types of disturbing

Somebody may now explain to me why I have "Blood On The Coal" by the Folksmen stuck in my head


Because it combines three of the most popular types of folk-song tragedy into one diddy? Train accidents, Death of a loved one, and Mining Accidents.


While I'm sure that's part of the case, it is a little confusing not only why this song is in my head, but why I'm aware of it in the first place. See, The Folksmen aren't exactly a real band. They're a fictional band created for Saturday Night Live back in 1984 and were featured prominently in the mockumentary "A Mighty Wind" in 2003. The song "Blood On The Coals" was not featured in the film.

What I've learned recently while researching this Blag entry is a little frightening. While I knew full well that "A Mighty Wind" had a connection with the film "This Is Spinal Tap" being the same type of mockumentary and written by the same people...I actually did not realize that the members of the two groups were those same people.

That's right...actors Michael McKean, Christopher Guest, and Harry Shearer (Also known as the voice of Ned Flanders) portray the members of both Spinal Tap and The Folksmen, depending on what type of show they're doing. In fact, apparently, The Folksmen opened for Spinal Tap in one performance and were booed off the stage. This blew my mind...so I'm pretty much done for the day. Hope there wasn't anything I needed to do today.


You mean like work or something?


Oh yeah...I meant besides that.

No comments: