Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Walking the Line

Johnny Cash is NOT HOCKEY MUSIC!!!


But...he's been everywhere.


Great. So, the Holy Grail of musicians who have decided to completely sell out is the sports anthem. The completely universal song that everybody knows and can somehow sing along to or participate in, but nobody actually likes. Really...why bother creating a good song when you can come up with a crappy song that has a little catch that can be used by 20,000 people almost instantly? For example, "Song 2" by Blur, in which the entire crowd can all yell "WOO-HOO!" in time with the music. Also, the Gary Glitter classic "Rock and Roll Part 2" has a built in "HEY!" that everyone can participate in. The list just goes on..."Whoomp There It Is," "We Will Rock You," whatever that obnoxious guitar+singing call and response thing is that some teams have started using..."Kernkraft 400"...but I digress.


I think you just gave me the Folsom River Blues.


Interesting. Anyway, the point is, Johnny cash never sold out and created a sports anthem, but one of his songs has been used by at least two teams that I'm aware of now, and I'm putting out this Internet Petition to get it to stop.


Better be careful, or you'll end up In The Jailhouse Now.


I was watching the Los Angeles Kings game last week...


Ah, yes...the Man in Black


Will you stop that?!


Sorry...carry on.


They were playing the Calgary Flames...and right at the end of the game, something terrible happened. The sound system in the arena began playing jaunty mariachi trumpets. Yes...it happened. Ladies, Gentlemen, and people from Elmira...the DJ at the Pengrowth Saddledome played "Ring of Fire" as a win celebration song.


Well...they ARE the flames.


Which is the only thing that makes it slightly more acceptable than the Manhattanville Valiants playing it at their home games, but I stand by my original statement. Johnny Cash is NOT HOCKEY MUSIC!


I think I Understand Your Man.

I give up.

No comments: