Friday, September 5, 2014

It Doesn't Echo Or Anything...But Still...

That little compartment in my car where I stash loose change is surprisingly deep


Jeremy realized today that he is a full $1.35 richer than he thought when he counted up all of the loose change in his car.  


Fortunately for my, it was way more than that!  Woohoo!  Not enough to solve world hunger or anything, but there were at least 5 bucks in there.

So, my car got recalled recently.  It was for something silly, not like some of the "engine bursting into flames" recalls you may have seen on the news recently.  My car actually has something of a history of silly recalls.  The first time, it was because the chrome paint on the shift knob had been found to flake off, and people could cut their finger.  Another was because the third brake light may or may not come on all the time.  This time, the cable which connects the shift knob to the transmission may come loose, so you'll be stuck in park.  As much as that would suck, it doesn't really happen all that often.  But, they told me to come in and get it fixed anyway. 

In the process of dropping my car off at the dealer, I realized that the service tech may actually need access to the center console, which is where the shifter is.  I decided that I needed to empty all of the loose change out of the little bowl in the front of it, lest some other guy spend his time scooping out pennies and being annoyed at me for leaving them in there.  As it turns out, this little compartment is a lot deeper than I gave it credit for.  Here it is:
When that thing is full of coins, you don't quite realize just how many coins the silly thing is holding.  Turns out, it's a lot.  All of them made their way to my laptop bag, which then weighed quite a bit more than I'm used to carrying into the building where I work.  I took them out now, so they're not a problem.  That by itself did become a problem later, when my lunch totaled $7.02 (I'm not even making that up), and I didn't have any coins in the center console to make the change easier. 

There is now 98 cents worth of loose change in the center console of my car.  It's a good start. 

No comments: