Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Theme Week Part Deux

Jeremy’s Sametime Status Proudly Presents: Back From France Week! I’m now banned from all Grand Slam Tennis Tournaments


Way to go, Jeremy. Why couldn't you get yourself banned from NASCAR, or something else that you don't actually enjoy?


First of all, I'd have to go to a NASCAR event in order to be barred from returning. That said, the mullets and smell of cigarettes and spilled Budweiser everywhere would probably be enough of a deterrent on their own, I wouldn't need the help of security.

In the case of my vacation, one of the events on the trip was a stop off to Roland Garros to catch the first round of the French Open. It was a lovely spring day until it started raining heavily. Umbrellas came out, and tarps covered the clay courts for over an hour until it was decided that play could continue. While the tournament committee was ready to blame me for the weather, they weren't entirely convinced.

The main issue they had with me was that I'm pretty certain I cursed everyone that I saw play. I'm pretty sure that nobody I watched in the first round made it out of the second. I didn't even see Rafael Nadal play, but simply being in the area was enough to get him bounced in the early rounds, despite being probably the greatest clay-court player in the game. The Williams sisters lost their doubles match soon after we saw them, the Russian girl whose name escapes me obviously didn't win, and Jelena Dokic had to withdraw from her next match with a back injury.


Nicely done.

No comments: