Thursday, June 11, 2009

Theme Week Part Quatre

Jeremy’s Sametime Status Proudly Presents: Back From France Week! The Literal Translation of "Picon" is: "I'm going to dump Orange stuff into your drink."


Ooo...tasty!


In certain circumstances, certainly. In beer, not so much.


Yeah...I was assuming a smoothie or something right there.


So we walked into a pub in Paris during Happy Hour and proceeded to order drinks off the specials menu. Having seen a couple quaffs I'd either seen or tried before, I decided to go with something new and different. After all, vacation is a time to try new things, right? Absorb yourself in new cultures and go for new experiences!


That can never go wrong. Except for the raw squid incident in Japan...


Well, I ordered a beer that was listed only as "Picon" on the menu, thinking that it was merely a brand I'd never heard of. The bartender proceeds to pour a substantial amount of syrupy liquid into a glass, then fill the remainder with a standard French beer. I ask what the syrup stuff was, and the reply was "an orange liqueur."

Yeah...not great. Of course, also not wanting to be "that guy" who orders something in a restaurant, then complains when it's not what he thought it was, I drank the thing anyway, and learned a valuable French lesson that I decided to share with you all today.

No comments: