Friday, March 13, 2009

Theme Week, Part 5

Jeremy’s Sametime Status proudly presents: Jeremy’s Bucket List Week! Eat room-temperature chicken out of a vending machine. CHECK!


Not only is this arguably the most disgusting thing you've ever put on the Blag, but it's irresponsible and hypocritical to boot...what with your being a Bird Flu activist and all. What's up?


It's not as bad as it sounds, really. We're going on the assumption that the chicken was fully cooked before being vacuum-sealed in easy-to-vend form.

I often like to go on little "Vending Machine Adventures" which usually amount nothing more than trying whatever new flavour of chips happen to show up that week. (Hint: Avoid the "Bravos" Sweet Pepper tortilla chips at ALL costs) It's fun to try new things, and it costs about 75 cents, so even if it's atrocious, you're not out all that much.

Not long ago at lunch, I walked past the vending machine full of chips and candies and such, when something new caught my eye. It wasn't a bag of chips, as such, but it was in the chip location. No, it was a bag of jerky...but not standard beef jerky or even turkey jerky like you may all be thinking. It was Buffalo flavoured chicken jerky nuggets. The initial though horrified me at first...and the $1.00 cost of the bag didn't help matters, but a couple generous sadists coworkers helped out with the financing (more of a dare than anything else, I imagine) and the bag only cost me 40 cents.

The dining experience wasn't the greatest. While the things eventually had a decent flavour, the stringy texture of room temperature chicken jerky was more than a little off-putting.

Bottom line...I did not contract Bird Flu or Salmonella from the experience, and I learned a little more about what not to do at a vending machine. I call it success!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kind of reminds me of your "figgy duff" experiment. As I recall, the reply was "It wasn't the worst thing I ever ate."

Jeremy said...

That may have gone better if we had any clue how to make the stuff.

Who actually owns a "Pudding Bag" anyway?