Thursday, March 13, 2008

Theme Week, Chapter 4

Number Sequence Week! Find X: 1,000; 1,000,000,000; X; 100; 1; 4; 8; 3; 5


Why the semicolons? Is that another ridiculously subtle hint?


In a manner of speaking. It just makes it easier to read the first couple numbers. Once you get to the 4th in the sequence, they seem to be smaller, don't they?


Maybe it's a pattern.


Of course it is. That's the whole point this week. So let's turn to yesterday's.


Oh yeah. I got 31! It's the average speed in MPH of the idiot you had to follow to work every day for the last 2 weeks.


Not quite. The Answer to yesterday's sequence is 55! Here's how it works.

For the n'th value in the sequence, you simply spell out the english number of 'n'. So for example, the first value is "ONE", the second is "TWO" and so on. From there, you read whatever Roman Numerals are available in order and present your answer.

ONE => ___ => 0
TWO => ___ => 0
THREE => ___ => 0
FOUR => ___ => 0
FIVE => IV => 4
SIX => IX => 9
SEVEN => V => 5
EIGHT => I => 1
NINE => I => 1
TEN => ___ => 0
ELEVEN => LV => 55
TWELVE => LV => 55

One response I received yesterday, "55 and I hate you", will not be accepted as correct. It was derived through cheating.

1 comment:

Willie Y said...

I cheated and got the answer, but I don't understand how they got the answer. But I am sure you will enlighten us all tomorrow.