Monday, September 28, 2015

It Was Red. You Need More?



Now I know that I don’t have any photography equipment even remotely capable of taking pictures of a lunar eclipse  


No, Jeremy.  Your smartphone just won't cut it here.


Believe it or not, I'm actually quite aware of that.  Though, I did use my phone to send a picture of the eclipse...I just knew in advance that it wasn't going to work very well.  I'm at least somewhat smart.


You're right.  I don't believe you're smart.  


So anyway, unless you've been living in a hole for the past couple months, you know that last night was the big Supermoon eclipse.  Woohoo!  Exciting.  Supermoon, of course, is a full moon when the moon is as its orbit's perigee, or closest position to earth.  The result is the largest moon visible in the night sky.  Then, it occasionally passes through the earth's shadow, resulting in the largest lunar eclipse possible.  That's what happened yesterday.  

In the run-up to this astronomical phenomenon, there was a flood of social networking posts.  Unfortunately, very few of these had to do with any sort of astronomy or science.  Most of them had to do with the Prophecy of the Blood Moon.  The lunar eclipse is sometimes called Blood Moon because it appears a deep red in the sky, and because it's a scarier name to give a prophecy about the end of times.  Since you're reading this, it's pretty safe to assume that the end of times did not occur, and we were just dealing with a standard lunar eclipse.  Hooray for continued existence!  

In the aftermath of the Supermoon eclipse, there was another flood of social media posts about the eclipse.  This time, it was everybody posting their own photos of the eclipse.  Everyone seems to have better cameras than me.  Some of the ones I saw were actually fairly impressive pictures of the moon in various stages of eclipse.  They were clearly taken with nice digital SLR cameras with decent lenses and by people who seem to know how to work with this type of equipment.  

I have an old higher-end point and shoot camera and a truly crappy tripod which has blue paint on it for some reason.   

My suite of photography equipment was ill-suited to nighttime pictures of an eclipsing moon, as evidenced by my lack of social media posts about the moon.  I don't think anyone will miss my take, though.  There are plenty of other posts about it.  I also don't really want to go buy a new camera....or do I? 

No comments: