Monday, September 21, 2015

In A World Where...Wait, What?



Well, that screenplay I thought was a great idea at 3AM sounds pretty silly now  


Coming never to a theatre nowhere near you...


I fancy myself something of a creative type on occasion.  Usually, this manifests itself in the form of comedy writing.  


Ooo, you write comedy?  I had no idea.  Where can we see some of your work?


But occasionally, I write slightly more serious fare.  I once submitted a short story to a contest which dealt with a machine that can Predict Your Death.   The resulting book became a best selling book, despite my lack of inclusion, but pretty much everybody who read my story said they at least sorta liked it.  I'll call that a win.  

I also tend to write screenplays in my dreams.  That's where I came up with my future holiday-themed Oscar contender "The Legend Of Kringle," among other great ideas.  The problem is, I rarely remember them, so my opportunities to win further Oscars go right out the window.  This is unfortunate, but a fact of reality.  Well, recently, I came up with a great screenplay while I was asleep.  It was so good, in fact, that when I woke myself up at 3AM with how great a story it was, I made a mental note to remember the idea in the morning.  If nothing else, it would make a great Sametime Status.  

Well, fast forward to actual wake-up time, and all of a sudden, my brilliant idea seems a little half-baked.  The general idea was that the President of the United States starts a new program of surprising people in their houses with an unannounced visit.  He just shows up at your house, and you let him in and chat for a while.  (Already, you can see where this falls a little flat...)  Well, one of these surprise visits goes awry when a presidential visit to a typical affluent suburban neighborhood turns into a nightmare as the president discovers that the family is actually living in abject poverty, well beyond their means.  trash is piled up inside the house, sick people and vermin are everywhere, and there's nothing to eat or drink, since utility bills haven't been paid in months.  

The family's children have discovered that the reason for their plight is that their parents were victims of predatory lending practices, and the president then decides to take up the family's cause and fight for justice.  

Why did I ever thing this was a good idea?  Weird things happen to my brain at 3AM, I guess.  Suffice to say that this won't be made into a feature film anytime soon...although, if it does...I totally want my cut. 

No comments: