Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Don't Know Why I Know Even This Much



Is it unusual to think about Pokemon during a business meeting?  


Not if one of your coworkers resembles a wild Snorlax.  Is that the case here?


Uhm...no.  

It should be said here that my knowledge of Pokemon is minimal.  I know about Pikachu, of course, and I've been made aware of Snorlax and Charmander.  I also know that there's one called Jigglypuff which is a pink ball ripoff of the video game character Kirby, and that its special power is singing.  That's about it.   

Based on Extensive Research, I know there are in the neighborhood of 720 Pokemon known to have been created.  My parents though I was bad with Transformers?  That was child's play.  I guess I mean that in the figurative sense, but it also works literally, since I was a child playing with the things at the time, but that's beside the point entirely.  

The point of Pokemon, from what I understand, is that you're supposed to catch them.  I don't know how you do this, but it involves throwing a red and white ball at them which seems to be much like the Muon Trap from Ghostbusters.  Depending on the game you're playing, you may have to beat the Pokemon into submission before it can be trapped in the ball, but I could just be making that up.  There's also training involved, I guess, but I have no idea what that's all about.  I can't be bothered to look it up.  

With all of this, a constant catch phrase around Pokemon is "gotta catch 'em all."  Because having more Pokemon makes you better or something.  So, when meeting with a group of engineers responsible for detecting manufacturing defects in products, and one of them says, referring to defects, that we "gotta catch 'em all," I have no idea if he was referencing the Pokemon catch phrase or not.  That's where my mind went, though. 

No comments: