Wednesday, April 16, 2014

With Apologies To Sergeant Rizzo



Strangely, lesson number 1 at the driving school isn’t “Be able to see out of your windows.”


Usually seems like an important part of the driving experience.  


I would have thought so, especially since I'm a big fan of being able to see stuff when driving, but apparently not.  I learned this earlier today.  Let's take a step back.

On my commute to work, I drive past a Driving School.  They teach regular driver's ed, CDL certification, big trucks, buses, defensive driving courses...all the things you would expect from a driving school.  Also, as you would expect from a driving school, they have their name plastered all over their vehicles (pronounced vee-HICK-uhls) in addition to having one of those "STUDENT DRIVER" placards on top of the car.  As such, they're pretty hard to miss...visually.  

Also worthy of note is that it April 16th, and we got about an inch of snow overnight in the Greater Jeremy Area.  All the roads were clear, but everybody's lawn was covered up, and most people's cars had a coating of snow on them.  

So, as I'm nearing the driving school, I see one of the class cars pulling out of their parking lot.  The person driving the car didn't bother clearing off any of the side or back windows.  They just let the windshield wipers deal with the front and drove off.  I expect this from most people, but not from a school that teaches defensive driving.  I was curious, so I went online to see what else their curriculum includes.  The results were astonishing.


  • Horn Honking for Beginners
  • Tires.  What are they?
  • High Beams.  Leave Them On For Safety
  • The Pittsburgh Left and Other Advanced Maneuvers
  • Texting and Getting Away With It
  • Turn Signals?
  • Wings, Stripes, and Fart Cans.  An Introduction To Street "Racing"
  • Speed Limits.  Safety, or Big Oil Conspiracy?

Well, needless to say, I'm skeptical about this particular driving school.  But, that said...I guess I've never seen one of their cars or trucks overturned in a ditch, so maybe they know what they're doing after all.  

No comments: