Wednesday, April 9, 2014

I Broke A Mirror Typing This Post



Do people not remember posting the “Money Bags” image on Facebook last March?


But...but...it only happens once every 823 years.  Obviously, the last time it happened, people were encouraged to post about it on Facebook or else it would bring them bad luck.  


Facebook sucks.  

I'm currently "friends" with several hundred people, ranging from people I see and talk to fairly frequently to people I went to the same high school with, didn't really talk to them at the time and haven't seen hide nor hair from since.  I have 8 people in "Facebook Limbo" where they've sent me a friend request and I've ignored it, and I'm pretty sure at least 3 people have me in the same holding pattern (Come on, people!  I'm lovable!  Be my friend!).  I've also blocked app invitations from 7 people, and blocked 13 apps altogether.  (I'm sorry if that hurts your Bubble Safari or Bingo Bash, but tough cookies) That's how the circle of social networking works.  

It also works in that you become "friends" with people you wouldn't ordinarily tolerate in real life, because you can usually just skip over their stuff in your feed, or hide it and nobody's the wiser.  Those people are inevitably the ones who post every single list from Buzzfeed, every "Which 'The Hills' Character Are You" quiz, every Facebook chain letter (Only 1.7% of my friends will post this crap on their wall...are YOU one of them?), a picture of every dinner and drink they ever consume, and of course...Moneybags.  

If you're not familiar with the Moneybags post on Facebook, I'm really curious how you're reading this Blag because you're obviously not aware of the internet.  This nonsense points out that some coming month has 5 each of Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.  The ancient Chinese/Japanese/Mongolian/Mayan/Incan people called this "Moneybags" and it only occurs, as LIR mentioned above, once every 823 years.  If you post that particular message to your Facebook, you're going to get lots and lots of money, and if you don't, you'll wind up dead in a ditch, your carcass being savaged by wild wolverines...or something.  This is according to some ancient religious aspect of whatever country is mentioned in this version of the Moneybags post. 

As it turns out, "Moneybags" will be happening this coming August, so I've seen this thing pop up on my Facebook feed 6 times this week.  Six of my friends don't want to be devoured by wild wolverines, or maybe they want money, I don't know.  Or perhaps 6 of my friends don't want to be my friend anymore...an entirely real possibility. 

What these friends seem to have forgotten is that March 2013 was also a "Moneybags" which means that the whole 823 years concept is a little bit exaggerated, as they had to wait a whole year and a half.  After this coming August, you'd expect to not see another Moneybags until 2837 (ironically, August 2837 begins on a Saturday, so it only has 4 Fridays and is NOT a Moneybags).  However, it turns out you don't have to wait quite that long, as the next Moneybags will happen in May 2015, followed by January and July 2016 and December of 2017...I could go on. 

It's not such a bad thing that people post inanities like this on Facebook.  It doesn't take a lot of my life to laugh at them and move on.  It's not even that people spray every last shred of even the most mild pithiness all over Facebook.  My problem is that people have become so accustomed to spraying that pithiness that they don't even pay attention to the pithiness that they're spraying.  It's spewing for the sake of spewing, and they don't even know what it is that they're dumping onto the world.  Please stop with the Moneybags. 

No comments: