Monday, April 21, 2014

My Brain-Dead Morning



I remembered the detour this morning, but not that it didn’t start until next week


One step at a time, Jeremy.  


Well, I see this as an opportunity for growth...or something.   

Anyway, there's a joke back where I grew up that there are two seasons.  Winter, and Road Construction.  Turns out, this is also true here in the Greater Jeremy Area.  Now that the snow is gone from the roads, it's time to fix all the potholes (and by that, I mean just dump a bunch of asphalt in the holes and ignore the fact that it doesn't quite line up or make anything resembling a smooth driving surface) and replace the bridge on the only road that makes a reasonably direct path between my house and work.  

That's right, a 2.1 mile detour around the bridge because there's absolutely no easy way to get around it.  Not such a big deal, but taking that detour involves making a right turn at a place where I've been taking a left turn every day for a number of years.  Autopilot is going to kick in at some point, and I'm going to go the usual way toward the bridge and end up looking stupid as I turn around to take the detour.  I know this in advance.  I have made my peace with it.  

Fortunately for me, I remembered about it this morning, so I took the detour.  Hooray!  

Only problem is that the bridge won't be closed until next week.  It's not such a big deal that I ended up going 2 miles out of my way to get to work today.  I see it as practice for the start of the main event next monday.  If I get in the habit of taking the detour now, before I need to, there will be that much better a chance of remembering it once they actually do close the bridge.  At least that's what I'm telling myself. 

No comments: