Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Darn You All To Heck!


I still darn socks, but not in the same way people used to


I'll bet you use an Overcast stitch, while the rest of the world has moved on to Blanket.  It's not too much trouble to learn the new methods, Jeremy.  


Uhm, what? 


What were you talking about?


 So not long ago, it was laundry day in the Jeremy household.  This involves the usual piles and soaps and machines and sorting and folding and putting stuff away.  Yes, I actually put the laundry away this time.  It also involved throwing socks away.  

See, I have quite a few socks As You May Be Aware, and occasionally, some of them develop holes.  One particular style of sock that I have, one that I tend to use for more physical activities, apparently sucks.  Within two cycles of laundry, two of these socks (Out of three pairs) had total blow-outs in the bottom.  While this makes life a little easier, in that I can simply combine the remaining good sock of the two pairs into one still-usable pair, I ended up throwing two others right the heck out.  


Fabulous story, Jeremy.  Wake us up, please.


So I came to remember that one word for repairing holes in fabric is to "darn" and it reminded me that "darn" is one of the words I used when I first discovered that my socks were totaled.   I believe my exact words were "Oh darn...these former piece of silk socks are full of fine holes."  Or something to that effect.  I don't remember exactly. 

No comments: