Thursday, October 25, 2012

Life's A Witch


“You’re a spreadsheet wizard, Jeremy.”  - Nobody from Hogwarts


It would be interesting if there was a magic school for computer stuff 


It's called school.  They teach technology now.  


So what are you going on about here then?


My job often involves working with computers and technology.  I'm awesome at it.  Well...most times.   
Anyway, one of my areas of expertise is in working with Microsoft Office documents, such as Word files and Excel spreadsheets.  Not just writing stuff and making pretty charts, but I've become quite fluent in formulas, pivot tables, sorting, searching, forms, and the occasional custom macro.  Not long ago, I got an email that contained another engineer's version of a spreadsheet, along with the caveat, "I'm not a spreadsheet wizard," despite the fact that the formulas and protection scheme used in the spreadsheet were totally top shelf.  There were still improvements to be made.

I thought to myself, "Well, fortunately, I AM a spreadsheet wizard!" and proceeded to modify the sheet to do what the other engineer wanted it to, but didn't quite know how.  The end result was a spreadsheet that was more or less exactly what our collective team needed, in a format that is user friendly for both us and our suppliers, consistent across the entire team, and keeps our information secure.  Win-Win-Win!  Unfortunately, there have been no owls from Hogwarts around to bring my acceptance letter. 

No comments: