Tuesday, October 23, 2012

This Actually Happened


I’m probably on some government list now that I had a box labeled “Pandemic Shipper” sent to my house


I don't know you.  I had nothing to do with this.  I want to talk to my lawyer.  


Relax, it was perfectly innocent.  It's just interesting to me that the post office would allow something like this, and maybe even moreso that the people who sent it didn't think this through any more than they did.  Here's my story:

It was time to do a little shopping on the internets.  Yeah, I know...shop local and all that, but...eh.  One of the things that I decided to buy was a board game recently made famous on the web series Table Top, celebrity board gaming with Wil Wheaton, called "Pandemic."  The game looked amazing, and dealt with something that is near and dear to me, global disease pandemics, such as Bird Flu.  As a noted Bird Flu activist, I took the moral high-road and purchased the game so I can continue to spread the message of Bird Flu awareness through fun and cooperative team building.  It really was a no brainer, and probably something I should have waited for and just told somebody else to buy me for Christmas, but again...eh.  

I purchased the game from a noted online retailer that for strictly Blag purposes, we'll call "SouthAmericanRiver Dot Com."  One of the things that makes SouthAmericanRiver so appealing is the fact that if you spend enough money, they'll ship your stuff to you for free.  The game plus the couple other things I bought with the same order were plenty to put me over the free-shipping threshold...this is good!  In order to minimize their shipping costs, the retailer piled all three items into one box, which is no big deal, but in some cases may lead to damage to occur, since the items were all different sizes.  To minimize this possibility, the board game was initially placed into its own customized box before being loaded into the final packaging.  This customized box was boldly labelled "Pandemic Shipper."

Assuming the fine folks at SouthAmericanRiver didn't know precisely what was in the smaller custom box, they would have sat there gleefully loading a box called "Pandemic Shipper" into the outgoing mail.  I wonder what was going through their mind when they sent this out, and if the post office was aware of the labeling and are now monitoring my email and Blag to see if I'm sending deadly diseases to random people.  I'm really not.  I'm just playing a game!

No comments: