Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I'm already Maddened

Pick Jeremy’s 12-5 Upset! New Mexico State over Michigan State, UTEP (El Paso) over Butler, Cornell over Temple, or Utah State over Texas A+M?


Wow...a sporting post that doesn't have anything to do with hockey? Shocking.


In all fairness, it is March Madness time. Due to peer pressure, I'm forced to come up with one of those silly bracket things around this time of year so I can enter pools to win bragging rights or something. This would be remarkably easier if I knew stuff about college basketball. My college basketball knowledge is sparse at best(I actually had to ask somebody what UTEP stood for). I know precisely 3 things...which the astute of you will realize is one more than last year. Here goes:

  • A 16 Seed has NEVER beaten a 1 Seed in the current 64-team format.
  • A 12 Seed ALWAYS beats a 5 Seed.
  • This guy Sergio is going to be at the party on Friday and I'm totally going to post up on that chump.


Too bad you don't know what "Post Up" means.


Not important. It's some form of smack talk, so I'm going with it. I'm also going with SCIENCE! Here's a graph of first round winning percentage by Seed, based on actual data I found on the Internetz somewhere:

Aside from the 8/9 matchup, which is basically a coin toss, the winning percentage by seed follows a pretty solid line...with the exception of the 5 seed. The 5 seed is cursed, for whatever reason, and I'm going to take advantage of that. Here's what we're going to do:

Since you all comprise The Most Intelligent Readership In The World, I'm enlisting your help to decide on my 5-12 upset. Simply respond in the form of an IM, Email, or Blag Comment as to which 12 seed is going to take down the #5 team, and the team with the most votes moves on in my actual bracket. If I win any bragging rights or other form of prize, you get 0% of it. It's that simple!

No comments: