Tuesday, August 5, 2008

In my best Jay Sherman impression, "It stinks!"

I don't really care if you’re a celebrity chef. Don’t tell me to put "Stinking Nightshade" in my salad.


Yeah, isn't Stinking Nightshade poisonous?


Yes, but that didn't stop Celebrity chef Anthony Worrall Thompson from recommending it as a tasty addition to summer salads.


Apparently, he meant to say "Fat Hen" instead of "Henbane."


Yes, I can see where the confusion comes from. My issue with this whole thing isn't the toxic nature of henbane, but the fact that somebody actually told people to put something called "Stinking Nightshade" into food. Simply because something is green does not mean it's salad.


And now, just because it's poisonous doesn't mean it's not food.


The good news is that despite all this hubbub, nobody seems to have died from adding poison to their salad based on this chef's recommendation.


Probably because it stinks.

No comments: