Friday, February 15, 2008

We're in the money!

Jeremy’s Sametime Status Guessing Game! Guess how much my coin collection is worth and win a prize!


You're selling off your coin collection? No nostalgia there?


Not that kind of coin collection. Perhaps you need some back information and a rare personal glimpse into my actual life...


Story Time!!!


I hate carrying change around in my pocket. So every day since I started my current job, I've had a cup on my desk which I put all of my pocket change into. When my cup runeth over, I'd empty it into a box locked safely in my desk drawer. Well, this week, when it came time to empty the cup, I couldn't pull it off, because the box in my desk was full as well. I needed a new solution.


Lousy intro, but a decent hook. Now cut to the chase...


I got a new box that would be able to transport my coin collection to one of those coin counter machines to turn it into actual money. I didn't realize quite how out of control my coin collecting had gotten. By the time I emptied my desk, car, end table, closet, and piggy bank of coins I ended up with this:
(Click for more detail)


Holy....


So here's where you come in. I'll be hauling this monstrosity to a local coin counter this weekend. (I won't tell you which one so you can't mug me) Your job is to guess what the final net value of all the coins will be. Easy! We'll be doing this "Price Is Right" Style, so the person closest to the actual retail value without going over will win the grand prize.


What's the Grand Prize?


Today's Grand Prize is not the professional Ostrich Waxer you've all been waiting for. Today, we will be giving away the "Jeremy Is In The Office" Home Game, Volume 3-Virtual Snowball Fight. Fun for the whole family!


What if I want more information?


Here's all the information I'm going to provide:
  • The total volume of coinage is approximately 575 cubic inches, or 2.5 gallons.
  • The first 4" of the lower container probably contains a lower-than-average percentage of quarters than the rest. The remainder of the coin collection should be normal.
  • Yes, the quarter in the front counts. It was placed in the front for size reference and for sheer irony.
  • The overall collection, with containers, weighs 65.6 pounds.


As always, employees and imaginary alter personas of the Blag Author are not eligible.


You say that like I have any better chance of guessing it than anybody else...


Good luck everybody!

4 comments:

Willie Y said...

$265.54 Any Canadian coins? If there is it might through my estimate off.

Jeremy said...

There may be a handful of canadian coins, but it wouldn't put your estimate off by much. The current exchange rate is $1 Can = $1.01 US.

Jeff said...

I am using all of my IBM Engineering Training for this (i.e. I'm picking a number out of my ass)

$78.47

Unknown said...

$157.23 because, well...it just looks like $157.23