Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Because we care...

I bought a donut and they gave me a receipt for the donut. I don't need a receipt for a donut. I'll give you the money, you give me the donut...end of transaction. We do not need to bring ink and paper into this. I just cannot imagine a scenario where I would have to prove that I bought a donut. Some skeptical friend, "Don't even act like I didn't get that donut. I got the documentation right here! Oh wait, it's back home in the file…under 'D'…for donut."


Mitch is back!


That's right...today's Status comes to you courtesy of the great Mitch Hedberg. This particular line is from his first CD "Strategic Grill Locations" which was only available in stores if he took one into a store and left it there.


So using this message today...is there something behind it?


As a matter of fact there is...it's like you read my mind.


Quick read.


Apparently, it is the new "company policy" of the company that handles the microscopic cafeteria thing in my building to give receipts for every single transaction. I discovered this yesterday, while buying a bagel. I hand the cashier my money, as usual, and he types into the register...my change comes out of the little coin counter thing, and the cashier thrusts a receipt into my hand. Now I have a bagel, which I wanted, and a piece of scrap paper, which nobody wants. Located directly behind the cashier is a waste basket, filled to the brim with receipts, and roughly nothing else.

It's nice to know that in this age of environmental awareness and "green" business practices that some companies care enough about the world to fill entire waste baskets with unneccessary receipts, wasting not only the paper they're printed on, but the ink and electricity used to create them. I know it's not much, but shouldn't the prevailing message be that "Every little bit helps"? I thought so.


So what do I do?


If you work in my building, fill out one of those little comment cards they provide and tell them that they're wasting paper and time printing out reciepts for bagels. Fill out a comment card every time you go past the cafeteria...take some home and write them there. It's time for a campaign!


What are those comment cards made of?


Why do you ask?

1 comment:

Willie Y said...

write your comments on the receipts from your bagel purchase.