Monday, October 3, 2016

Hint: It Was A Sequel



I’m starting a pool for how long my house will smell like chili


Put me down for 72 hours!  Things like that tend to linger, but I'm also curious how you would determine when the official time stops.  There's no quantifiable metric for smells in your house.  


Well, strictly speaking, analytical measures of odor is impossible, but that's beside the point here.  What's important to note is that I made chili!  


With or without crushed Oreos?  


Without, and three bonus internets to everyone who gets that reference.   

So, on occasion, I cook things.  It comes in handy when it's time to eat, and since I don't always have time to prepare things that take time and effort to cook, I enjoy those occasions and make the most of the opportunities.  Recently, that meant chili.  It should be known that I currently have 8 unique chili recipes in my collection with varying degrees of quality, spiciness, effort, and resemblance to what any reasonable person would call "chili."  Chile Recipe #3 is a white chicken chili which more resembles Irish Wedding Soup than it does any other chili I've ever had, but it was called "chili" in the recipe, so we go with it.  

I decided to prepare a batch of "Jeremy's Award-Winning Firehouse Chili."  It involves, as you might expect, garlic, and onions, and jalapenos, and Oxford Commas, and spices of various sorts.  When the pot has simmered for a full two hours, you are treated to a wonderful culinary delight which has earned praise from critics all around the Greater Jeremy Area who were invited to my house for chili.  So as of yesterday evening, I have a rather substantial container of leftover chili in the refrigerator, and the rather substantial smell of cooking chili throughout my house.  

Sure, it's mostly garlic smell, which is amazing, but there's certainly more stuff going on.  Since it's fall, I can't really have the windows open so much anymore, so whatever smells are in my house will probably tend to linger a little longer than they would during the open-windowed months.  So, I'm left with the options of air fresheners and scented candles and the like to neutralize the odors...and no earthly clue how long it's going to smell that way.  So...who's got opinions?!

No comments: