Friday, October 14, 2016

Friends Don't Let Friends Read Comment Sections



Who else set off the smoke alarm making dinner last night?  


In addition to all of the other topics you may already be familiar with, Jeremy is also a Culinary Genius.  Here's a fun-filled story of Jeremy's adventures with cooking dinner and trying to not burn his house down.  


So, yeah...my house was never in any danger of burning down.  

Also, people who post recipes on the internets need to learn science.  

Or maybe proofread. 

Anyway, not long ago, I was making dinner, as I am wont to do, using a brand new recipe I saw posted on the internets somewhere.  Strictly speaking, it was a recipe for a side dish, but that's beside the point entirely.  It was for over-roasted potatoes which are supposed to come out really soft, but still entirely contained within their potato-slice shape.  You get the idea.  So, the start of the recipe seemed entirely ordinary...peel and slice a couple pounds of potatoes, toss them with some olive oil and some secret herbs and spices, then arrange them on a baking pan.  I got through all of that pretty much intact.  

The next step was to heat the over to a rather significant temperature.  The temperature called for in the recipe seemed a little excessive at the time, but an undercooked potato can be hard, starchy tasting, and Lead To Hallucinations at the very worst, so I foolishly believed something I saw on the internet that wasn't posted on my Blag and set the oven. 

As it turns out, the temperature to which I set my over was not only too high for the cooking aspects of the recipe (I ended up cutting the cooking times nearly in half with satisfactory results), but it was too high for the smoke point of the olive oil I had used.  I thought that might be the case, but couldn't be bothered to look it up.  This caused a not insignificant amount of smoke to billow out of the oven when I opened it to turn over my potatoes.  Thinking quickly, I opened up some windows in the house and turned a fan on to clear the air.  

Thinking more slowly, my smoke alarm sounded off about 5 minutes later, alerting me to smoke in the house.  

For what it's worth, the potatoes came out fairly tasty.  In the manner of every comment ever on every recipe on every cooking site everywhere on the internets: 

"I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 stars, but only because I cooked it at a different temperature for different times, and I substituted all of these ingredients for some other crap because I decided to and didn't actually make the recipe that I'm reviewing.  It turned out okay, but my second cousin once removed didn't like the texture, so I took off another half of a star.  Would make again." 

No comments: