Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Somebody Look Up Last Year's



October 11.  Not too bad a date to turn the heat on, I guess  


It had to happen sooner or later.  Unless you live in the desert or something, at which point, you'd be tracking your electric bill by when you turn the AC on.  


So, the unofficial first day of fall is today.  It has nothing to do with the Autumnal Equinox, or dates on a calendar.  It has to do with the first day that my house gets too cold and I can't put up with it anymore and I'm forced to flip the switch on the thermostat.  It's a mental thing.  

So, with the overnight temperature in the Greater Jeremy Area getting down to 29 degrees F (-2 C), the inside of my house was a balmy 64 degrees when I woke up.  That sort of temperature is fine for sleeping, since I can just curl myself up into a little Jeremy burrito with blankets, but when it comes time to shower and brush my teeth and get ready for work, it's just not okay.  

It's not such a big deal this year, since the price of home heating is quite reasonable at the moment.  It really is just the principle of the thing, succumbing to Mother Nature and truly coming to grips with the end of summer, even if I have a bunch of fallen leaves in my yard already.  

It's okay.  I guess.  

So each year, it almost becomes a moral victory for me to go one more day before I flip that switch.  I'm really doing nothing but hurting myself by waiting, but it's a nice feeling that I've made it just a little longer without it.  So, I don't know what the date was last year, but I would guess it was a little later than this.  But all in all...October 11th...not so bad.  

No comments: