Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Apple Omelette Sounds Horrible



For breakfast, apple > butternut squash  


I don't know...I think a little squash might make a nice addition to a nice omelette.  With some Asiago and saffron threads, perhaps?  Sprinkled with truffle oil, of course.


Nobody has ever made that before, and you may have just made me hungry.  

Anyway, today's Sametime Status has more to do with a little half-event that happened recently.  As you may be aware, I tend to wake up and get out the door to go to work fairly quickly.  This is partially because there's no real point waiting around in the morning, partially because the faster I get out of bed and into the shower, the faster I wake up, and partially because if I leave the house five minutes later than I do, I get stuck behind school buses for 83% of my commute.  

That's beside the point. 

As you may also be aware, I had a mini-feud with the cafeteria at work not long ago regarding the cost of iced tea, and whether or not it should increase significantly based on flavor.  Well, since then, I have moved my office back to the building with the Adorably Tiny Cafeteria Thing In My Building, and I've been led to believe that a new company is taking over both cafeterias (for the benefit of lower cost, and almost certainly not to the benefit of increased quality), but the memory of that feud remains.  As such, I tend to bring my breakfast to work rather than procure it here.  Usually, that takes the form of a banana.  

Unless it's Apple Season.  

For the last few weeks, my daily banana has been replaced by my daily apple.  It's crispy, easily transportable, and delicious, making it pretty ideal for breakfast while poring over the latest email influx.  

Normally, my supply sits in a bowl on my kitchen counter.  But, on certain occasions where I didn't finish putting all of the groceries away before I got bored with putting the groceries away, the apples sit in a plastic bag inside a grocery bag on my kitchen counter along with whatever else hasn't been put away yet.  Don't worry, it's nothing immediately perishable...just things like apples that have no trouble sitting at room temperature.  

Anyway, not long ago, in my usual morning haze and in a rush to get out the door before School Bus Time, I reach down into the grocery bag to grab the plastic bag of apples.  I pull out a butternut squash that I bought because I saw a video online that had a different way of preparing butternut squash that looked good, so I wanted to try it.  I decided to reach back into the bag and try it again, because raw butternut squash is probably not as good a breakfast idea as a shiny apple.  Haven't tried it, though.  If you try my omelette idea, let me know how it goes.   

No comments: