Thursday, October 27, 2016

Mouse Manufacturer Not A Sponsor



First task of the day: Shopping for a new mouse  


Sounds like a great day.  Jeremy loves new electronics!  


So, let's go ahead and start things off by saying that my work computer leaves a little to be desired.  Sure, it started out as a pretty nice piece of hardware back when I first got it, but that was more than 4 years ago now, and it's been used pretty continuously 9-12 hours a day since then...minus weekends.  It's now slow and outdated, a little inundated in software updates and hardware deterioration.  It happens, which is why work computers tend to get replaced every 3 years or so.  The "Or So" being key in my case.  

It should also be noted here that I ordered a new battery for my work laptop 15 days ago, since the battery is among the pieces of hardware that are deteriorating.  I got an email on monday saying that, the IT Team is sorry for any inconvenience, but ordering my new laptop battery will take longer than expected.  

But that's beside the point. 

Yesterday afternoon, my mouse died.  It was a wireless mouse, so I had just assumed that the battery was done, and one AA later, I'd be back in mousey business.  After a longer-than-necessary search through my desk, I came to the realization that I didn't have any AA batteries at work, so it would be a day before my mouse issues were sorted out.  In the meantime, I can make use of my computer's touch pad and other assorted means of computer navigation.  Not a problem.  

It became a problem this morning when I brought in the last two AA batteries I own and plugged one of them into my mouse.  Bubkes.  (Yes, that's the proper spelling...I looked that crap up)  So, as it turns out, the battery was not the source of my mouse failure issues.  I tried a couple other common solutions to reactivate it, pulling the USB dongle and reinserting, wiggling the power switch, smacking the mouse a few times, turning my computer off and on again...all to no avail.  To the internets I go, searching for a new mouse that I can buy locally on my lunch break...preferably one near a deli.  

As I type this, I sit next to my shiny new mouse, which works flawlessly, and a receipt for the $23 it cost me to replace the old piece of crap which now resides in the garbage can outside my office.  If only I could do the same with this piece of crap computer...

No comments: