Monday, March 17, 2014

They Don't Make A Foam Hand With 69 Fingers



Pick Jeremy’s 12-5 Upset!  Stephen F Austin, Harvard, North Dakota State, or North Carolina State/Xavier?


It's that time again!  Time for Jeremy to wow us with the entirety of his knowledge of college basketball in like...three sentences.  Also, a little audience participation is always a good thing!


Oh yeah!  March Madness.  When the 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 greatest college basketball teams in the country battle it out for #1!  Then there's also another tournament where the 32 greatest college basketball teams that weren't good enough to be in the top 68 battle it out for #1, #65, #66, #67, #68 #69!  Really exciting sporting times ahead.  

So, here's what I do know.  I know that a #16 seed in the NCAA tournament has never beaten a #1 seed.  I also know that the #12 seed is a statistical outlier, having more than its share of upsets of the #5 seeds in tournament history.  So, a 12-5 upset is all but assured to happen, the question is which 12 seed is going to take down the favorite?  Here are your choices:

  • Stephen F Austin State, whose mascot is somehow the Lumberjacks.  Nobody's ever been able to explain to my satisfaction why it's not the Rattlesnakes.  The college is even in Texas, for crying out loud.  They'll be taking on Virginia Commonwealth.
  • Harvard.  For some inexplicable reason, they will be facing Cincinnati, in the first second round of the East Region bracket in Spokane Washington.  In the entire region bracket, I think the team based furthest west is Iowa, yet this game is in Washington.  Nobody's going to be able to explain that to my satisfaction either.  
  • North Dakota State.  They will tip off against Oklahoma in an arena which can successfully hold the entire population of both states.  
  • The winner of the North Carolina State/Xavier Play-In Game.  Yes, there is a play-in for the 12 seed.  Just one more thing that nobody will be able to explain to my satisfaction.  If you're good enough to be a 12-seed, why do you have to play-in to get into the tournament?  Shouldn't all of the play-in games be for a 16-seed?  I'm confounded.  

So there you have it.  Everything I know about college basketball in one east Blag post.  Now, it's up to you to decide how I fill out my bracket?  Who's going in as my 12-5 upset?!

1 comment:

Pah said...

I was wondering if you could have (not could of) reran your entry from last year on March Madness and see if anyone would notice. The best of Jeremy, eh?