Friday, March 29, 2013

AWOOOOOOOOO!



Why was I surprised that there was a full moon this week?


You really shouldn't be.  It happens every 29 days or so.   


Well, there's more to it than that.  For some reason, I was actively excited on monday as I was driving home and I looked out the window to see a brilliant full moon.  I didn't turn into a werewolf, but I assume that's completely irrelevant to the story.  

It wasn't until this morning that I realized that I shouldn't have been so shocked to see a full moon this week, since Easter is on Sunday.  Easter, as we all know, is the holiday meant to celebrate eggs and bunnies, and is scheduled to fall on the Sunday following the first full moon after the spring equinox.  So spring started last week, and Easter is this week.  It follows suit, therefore, that there would be a full moon this week.  I just didn't catch up to that somehow.  Sometimes my brain is slow.  Most times, I'm A Genius, but even I can't be that brilliant all the time, I guess.  

Speaking of moons and geniuses, the big news coming out of science this week is some new data flowing in from the latest microwave telescope down in the Mexican dessert.  The thing is over a mile in diameter and is the most sensitive radioscopic instrument ever designed by man.  It receives microwave radiation coming in from all over the universe and is being used to search for artificial patterns in deep space.  Should be interesting! 

No comments: