Monday, March 12, 2012

Squeeky Fun For All!


Pick Jeremy’s 12-5 Upset!  VCU, Long Beach State, Harvard, or the winner of the California/South Florida Play-In


It's that time of year again!  Time for Jeremy to dazzle us all with his ineptitude at picking winners of 67 college basketball games.  He's so bad, he's enlisting all of you for help.


 I'm not as bad as all that.  I do, in fact, know a couple things about the NCAA tournament, and I've even seen two games this year.  


And of those teams that you saw, how many of them made it to the final 68?


Well...one...but that's beside the point entirely.  
What is important is that my knowledge of college basketball has not exactly increased from last year.  I know two indisputable facts about the tournament:  A 16-seed has NEVER beaten a #1, and the #5 seed is a statistical outlier, being ousted by the #12 seed more often than you'd think they should.  I actually did a graph once, which you can find on the Blag here pretty easily if you'd like.  The first-round winning percentage by seed tracks a pretty straight line, except for 5, which actually wins less often than the 6 seeds.  Some say it's a curse.  I say it's an opportunity!  

So as is tradition here, you get to pick my 12-5 upset.  At least one of these 4 teams is statistically likely to win their first-round matchup later this week, and I leave my decision to the Internetz.  Whichever team gets the most votes will be listed as the winner on my official bracket for whatever pool I participate in.  Just for the record, you don't get any prize money or anything if you're right...just the satisfaction of knowing you did your best.  So...who's it going to be?  Virginia Commonwealth, Long Beach State, Harvard, or California/South Florida?  VOTE NOW!!!

No comments: