Monday, March 5, 2012

Bad, Jeremy!


The New York Rangers were punishing me for falling asleep during their game


You fell asleep during a hockey game?  How could you?


I know, I know.  I'm sorry.  I say that not only to the loyal readers here, but to the New York Rangers...and the Boston Bruins as well.  I fell asleep during their game (it was a long and busy weekend) and they made me pay for it by confusing the crap out of my in my not-quite-conscious state.  Here's what happened:


Story time!  Get your nachos here!  


So I laid down on the couch with the game on a background noise and made it approximately 83 seconds before passing out.  It was a nice, relaxing nap, and I awoke some time later.  I thought it wasn't very long after all because I look at the game and while the score was different than I'd remembered, there was still a minute or so left in the first period.  They play out the rest of the period, the horn goes off, and I think I have 15 minutes or so before the next period starts.  Instead, the teams go back to their benches for about a minute or so, switch sides and immediately start playing again.  I'm quite clear on the rules of hockey and was pretty sure this generally doesn't happen, so I was left with the inescapable conclusion that I'm either horribly misinformed about hockey, or just suffered some kind of fugue event.  One intermission of my life was now a blacked-out moment.  

As it turns out, I had just slept through the intermission and this was the start of the second period.  I just missed the part where the refs moved the end of the first period into the second.  Brian Rolston of the Bruins took a shot late in the first that broke a pane of glass behind the Rangers' net.  Rather than delaying the game while the rink crew replaced the glass (which normally can be done in a matter of a couple minutes, but maybe this one was more difficult for some reason), the refs put a stop to the period, had the glass replaced and the ice resurfaced, then completed the last 2:53 of the first.  Then, having already had an intermission, started the second right up.  It makes a lot more sense now than it did when I just woke up.

No comments: