Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Mmmmm....Cherry


So when is “A La Mode” day?


I'm a little surprised at you, Jeremy.  Sellout.


Yeah, I know...I really shouldn't do that, but whatever.  So for those unawares, I was coerced into today's Sametime Status by a Loyal Reader who insisted I do something specifically for "Pi Day" because I occasionally post nerdy stuff on the Blag here.


Don't be so modest...you very often post nerdy stuff on here.


So despite my aversion to accepting input into my Sametime Statuses, I've allowed it for today only.  The main reason I avoid this sort of thing is financial, of course.  If today's Blag Entry ends up selling for millions, I don't want loyal readers everywhere claiming their, for lack of a better expression, slice of the pi.  
Regardless, today is March 14, known as "Pi Day" to people who write the date in the American fashion as 3/14, similar to the ratio of a circle's area to the square of its radius (Of course, that ratio being 3.141592653589...etc.  Yes, I typed that from memory...what up?).  I felt this was a good opportunity for not only some wordplay, but also a lesson on linguistics and history.

The phrase "A La Mode" is a french term used to refer to ice cream being placed on top of a dessert.

Thus ends the true part of this lecture...

 
Translating the original french gives us the expression, "of the Ice Cream," which makes perfect sense given how popular vanilla ice cream is in France.  They even have their own specific flavor, or Fashion, of it, but I forget what it's called.  You may recognize the french word "Mode" from the Fashionable electronic band "Depeche Mode" who ironically are an English group.  Early band members worked day jobs as ice cream truck drivers who would Fashion and then deliver, or "dispatch" ice cream, from which the name of the group "Depeche Mode" or "Ice Cream Dispatch" originated. 


Seriously, Jeremy...people are going to stop taking this stuff seriously.


 But as long as I'm having fun edutaining them, does that really matter?  

No comments: