Monday, October 19, 2009

Simple Mathematics

Attention City of New York: One escalator at a time, please.


I know, I know...it's the first in a series of messages about parapsychological...oh wait. It's actually a new message today. About friggin' time.


I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about.


Thought as much. So what's the deal with the escalators.


Well, the economy is a little rough right now, so the city of New York seems to have cut down on the number of teams they have working on escalators in Penn Station. It's a very busy train station I was in recently, and it contains a fairly large number of escalators, as you might imagine.

Most of these escalators are broken.

Most have signs saying temporarily out of service (Mitch Hedberg would prefer they say "Escalator Temporarily Stairs" but that's beside the point) or have some vague mention of an upgrade or renovation that's in progress. Only problem here is that I saw precisely one team of people actually working on a broken escalator. I know you don't want to pay these guys to sit around not fixing an escalator, but in this particular case, the backlog was tremendous. These poor guys will be fixing escalators until rapture, but probably not make any progress. What is the MTBF for escalators anyway? I imagine it being on the order of weeks, not hours.

1 comment:

Willie Y said...

Every job has it's ups and downs, this more than most.