Wednesday, January 6, 2016

I Also Take Issue With The Use Of "Great"



“The Great Pottery Throw Down” was disappointing for reasons that seem obvious in hindsight  


Oh geeze.  Jeremy has once again taken a wonderful piece of higher culture and ruined it.  I still have two episodes on the DVR that I haven't watched.  


So, if you're not familiar with "The Great Pottery Throw Down," it's totally not what you think it is.  


You numbskull.  People think it's a pottery-making competition!  


Well, I know that NOW.  All I knew is that this was a reality TV show on BBC with the most highly anticipated show title in history.  I tuned in with anxious anticipation, expecting an entire competition show along the lines of the percussion section at the roughly 2:10 mark of This Fine Classical Music Video.   


Wow...you don't see that often enough out of an orchestra...


What I got was more along the lines of people taking blobs of clay and making pottery.  This was unfathomably disappointing.  I was totally and completely duped, which I'm pretty sure is what the producers were hoping for.  But, since there was no tossing and smashing of fine pottery, I will not be tuning back in.  

Of course, the title is, in fact, at least a double meaning.  The proper term for making pottery on a spinning wheel is to "throw" the clay.  Also, a "Throw Down" is a standard euphemism for a contest or competition.  I'm fairly certain they were also hoping to put in as many "potter" references for a British audience confused as to where Hogwarts fits into all of this. 

1 comment:

Sourav show said...

thanks for sharing this informative article. Rebecca Tolk