Monday, July 15, 2013

Tour De France, Here I Come!



Well, my new wheels sound different.  That’s about it


You didn't tell me you were getting a new car.  Shotgun!


Yeah, I didn't get a new car.  There really was no metaphor in today's Sametime Status...I actually just got new wheels for my bicycle.   


I see.  And you were worried about how they sounded?  If you don't like it, you can always put a baseball card in the spokes, and it will sound like a motor.  That should make you go faster, too. 


I really only got new wheels for the bike because they look cool.  The ones I got ostensibly have a couple of advantages over the old ones, and I got a terrific deal on them, but quite honestly...I only bought them because they look good.  My old wheels didn't.  The new ones have a deeper rim profile, have writing on the sidewalls that looks cool when spinning in really really fast circles, and the color matches the rest of the bike.  Sure, they're more aerodynamic, a couple of grams lighter, and have better spokes, but that's all gravy.  

So, over the weekend, I got to take the new wheels out for a spin...or a couple thousand spins as the case may be.  I'm not sure if I was expecting there to be a great difference in the feel of the bike, or if the new wheels would magically make me go faster, but I didn't notice.  About the only thing I did notice was that the sound the bike made as I rode along was a little different.  That was totally worth what I paid for the wheels.    

No comments: