Thursday, July 11, 2013

I Can't Slurp It, Either



Does this mean I can’t have a Smoothie today?  


Does what mean you can't have a Smoothie?  I didn't realize there was a decree made...not that you pay much attention to my decrees anyway.


So today is July 11...7/11, if you write the date in the typical American fashion.  The convenience store chain 7-Eleven is the original home of the Slurpee (Actually a licensed product from the Icee company, but that's hardly worth mentioning), so today has been dubbed "Slurpee Day," and the stores at one point gave away free Slurpees to celebrate.  


Interestingly enough, the name 7-Eleven has nothing to do with Craps.  The stores were named such after the hours they were open...from 7AM until 11PM. 


7-Eleven was also given an unfortunate new nickname by Denis Leary, in the Coffee Rant Portion of his CD "Lock N Load."   (Not surprisingly, that link contains some strong language.) 

So all this said...I don't really care about Slurpees.  There's a place near my house...a cafe, if you will...that sells fruit smoothies, many of the tropical variety.  I actually like this place and get a smoothie there from time to time.  I feel like it would be wrong of me to go there today and get a Smoothie, since it's Slurpee Day.  This, of course, makes me want a smoothie all the more.  

Also, I had a Home Ec teacher back in school (I guess it's not called Home Ec anymore, since that would be offensive, but I don't know what they call it these days, so deal) who would grossly overpronouce the word Smoothie, resulting in a very protracted SMIEEWWWtheee.  Annoyingly, I can never think of the word Smoothie pronounced any other way now. 

No comments: