Friday, July 19, 2013

"Auto" Is A Dumb Word, Too



No good commercial jingle includes the phrase “auto parts”


I'm sure you could make one if you wanted to.  Just need a clever word that rhymes with "parts."  Oh wait...I think I see your point.  


Pretty much.  When you make a commercial jingle for an auto parts store, you really can't include the fact that the store sells auto parts.  If you do, it's expected to rhyme, and once you say the word "parts," everybody's mind goes to exactly the same place, regardless of what the jingle actually says.  Therefore, nobody really even tries.  

The closest, I think, that anyone's managed to come is O'Reilly Auto Parts, who came up with a jingle based around the name of the store.  Then, they just throw in "auto parts" at the end, more as an afterthought than of any real part of the jingle.  It doesn't even fit with the song.  

So, if anyone's actually managed to come up with a good commercial jingle for an auto parts store, please let me know...because I certainly haven't heard it yet.   

No comments: