Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Not Quite Dubstep-like...



Can’t tell if my lawnmower blade is out of balance or I’m listening to Chemical Brothers


Well well well, look who's back.  Thought you forgot about us.


Well, I forgot about something, but it wasn't my Sametime Status.  In my haste to take a half-day of vacation last Friday afternoon, I ran out without checking my monday calendar.  Probably turned out to not matter much, since anything I know about on Friday has about a 1.7% chance of being remembered on monday morning.  Had I looked at my upcoming calendar, I would have realized that I had a training class on monday and Tuesday of this week, which would take up my entire work day.  While this leaves me in a better position to work with my clients, it also prohibits me from looking at my computer all day, which means no Sametime Status, no email, no work being done.  It causes me to be behind, but should actually be of some benefit to my career.  I'll take that trade-off, I guess.  

So not long ago, I was mowing the lawn...as I am wont to do...and I heard something all funky.  It was sort of a popping/wobbling noise that was somewhat intermittent and not really in time with anything.  I'm not a stranger to having the blade on my lawnmower going out of balance due to a build-up of grass clippings, so I figured this would probably be the case.  The solution is easy...turn off the lawnmower (This part is strangely important), clear the underside of the deck, start the engine back up, and go about my business as usual.  Well, picture my shock when I see that the blade is perfectly clean with no obstructions from grass...and moreso than that, the noise continues, even without the mower running.  Weird...

As it turns out, the song "In Dust We Trust" by the Chemical Brothers sounds an awful lot like a lawmower blade going out of balance due to a buildup of grass clippings.  Who knew?

Here's a Fun Fact!  The Chemical Brothers recorded a song named "In Dust We Trust," and the Dust Brothers recorded a song for the Fight Club soundtrack called "Chemical Burn."  

No comments: