Monday, May 20, 2013

Inflation Sucks



I’m so good, I correct people’s math mistakes in my sleep


And by "good," you mean "nerdy."  


Isn't that the same thing, really?

So anyway, not long ago, I was asleep.  It happens from time to time.  And I found myself wanting a cup of coffee...because I was tired or something, I guess.  Back before I had my own coffee maker in my office, I was a member of one of the numerous coffee clubs at work.  The term "member" is a bit of a misnomer, as there is no formal membership selection, dues, or acceptance ceremony.  You kinda just go get a cup of coffee and leave 50 cents.  The 50 cents was determined by the board of directors, for which there apparently is some form of declaration, and is meant to cover the costs of all the supplies, including cups, creamer, the coffee maker itself, oxford commas, and coffee.  

Well, while I was asleep, I found myself going back to the coffee club and times had changed.  The seemingly reasonable price of 50 cents had increase to somewhere in the neighborhood of $1400, due to a new contract signed with a supplier of coffee-related paraphernalia.  (True story, I spelled paraphernalia right on the first try!  Go me!)  Since I was a little short on the necessary funds to procure a cup of coffee, I asked to see an explanation for the price increase, so the club treasurer showed me an itemized list of costs associated with coffee, including the supplies contract.  I quickly was able to point out that the supply cost was the cost for the entire contract, and was not prorated into individual cups of coffee, so there was no need to charge me such an exorbitant rate.    

I felt good having saved the world from poor math skills once again, and have absolutely no idea if I ever got that cup of coffee or not.  

No comments: