Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Add Sour Cream For Dipping



I don’t understand it, but I’m okay with wild onions growing in my yard.  It smells great when I mow the lawn


Now just grow some potatoes out there too, and you can make soup!


Not the worst idea you've come up with.


And yet, they're all better than yours.  Seems a little strange, doesn't it?


So, I don't know when this happened, but over the last year or so, wild onions started becoming a thing to grow in the Greater Jeremy Area.  It's not just in my yard, either.  I've seen them in local parks as well.  I'm not sure if other people around here have them in their yards, too, but for the sake of my argument, I'm going to say that they do.  Allium tricoccum, or "wild leeks" have become a fairly regular feature in grassy areas all over.  This is not necessarily a bad thing.  Sure, they're growing in place of actual grass, they grow very quickly and very tall, so they stick out among the standard grass blades, and due to their bulbous bottoms, they're somewhat difficult to pull.  But, they have one distinct advantage.  They smell awesome when you cut them!  

See, I'm allergic to the world, so a very common theme is for me to mow the lawn, then spend the next hour or so sneezing my face off.  This leads me to not really enjoy the smell of fresh-cut grass as much as some people claim to.  It's not necessarily something I look forward to.  But, when the mower makes its way over a little clump of these little onion stalks, the veggies get mulched into a fine mince, and the wonderful smell of onion pervades the yard for a while.  Of course, it also does have the unfortunate side effect of making me hungry.     

No comments: