Friday, April 5, 2013

Fun Facts Are Always True



Here’s a Fun Fact!  Barry Manilow did not write his hit song, “I Write The Songs.” 


This is actually true.  In fact, it was first recorded by The Captain and Tennille.  


So today's little bit of education and frivolity comes to you courtesy of some website I read the other day that had fun facts on it.  Over my travels, I've learned that most of the "Fun Fact" websites report fun facts that are not, in fact, facts.  One website claims that Toto made more money than Judy Garland for being in The Wizard of Oz, which is horrifically untrue.  I've learned to treat these fun facts as dubious claims and research them thoroughly before presenting them to you, my truth-loving audience.  

Because of this dedication to my craft, I can safely tell you that today's Fun Fact is entirely geniune.


Unlike every time you claim a statistic using 83%.


The song was actually written by famous songwriter/producer Bruce Johnston and recorded first by The Captain and Tennille, then by David Cassidy before Barry Manilow took his shot at it.  In fact, Manilow had to be convinced to record the song, since he had a mild objection to the lyrics at first.  I guess it worked out fairly well for him, as the single reached #1 on the Billboard charts in January of 1976. 

No comments: