Thursday, January 3, 2013

Yon Is A Good One, Too


New Year’s Resolution:  Start using the word “Thither” more often


And you decided to talk about it hither rather than somewhere else?  


Art is important.  All types of it...images, music, literature, moderately nonsensical blathering on a website.  It's all amazing.  The reason, of course, is that it provides future generations of a cultural snapshot of a specific time in history.


Two issues.  One...if future generations are actually reading this, they've got issues.  Two, is the word "Snapshot" even appropriate anymore?  Discuss.  


Anyway...I love to read....


You hate to read.


I don't hate to read...I just tend to fall asleep if I'm doing fewer than two things at a time.  Also, as I've mentioned before, I listen to audio books, and that's the same thing.  I've recently taken to reading the classic "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas (Warning:  Link Contains Adult Language, and yes, it's what you think it is).  Anyway, it's an old book, written in 1844, so it contains a lot of really old-fashioned phrases.  Some of which are much more amusing than others.   One of the words used fairly often in the book is the word "Thither" meaning, basically, "Over there."  Personally, I love this expression, and I feel that it needs to make a comeback.  I also feel that I'm just the person to start it. 

No comments: