Friday, January 25, 2013

Beating Science With Science!


Pro Tip:  A laptop makes a great shield from a car’s proximity key


Yes...for all of those times you want your key to not work.  Useful tip there, Jeremy.


I feel obligated to keep people informed when I make wonderful new discoveries! 


Wonderful?


When I make new discoveries!    

So anyway, my car has one of those cool proximity keys so that you can control all of the operations without having to take the key out of your pocket.


Or, in Jeremy's case, purse.


Ignoring now.  The way it works is that you press a button on the door handle, the car sends out a signal to basically ask if the key is nearby, and if the key responds, the door unlocks.  Science!  The same thing happens when you push the button inside the start the car, so in theory, I could be sitting in the passenger seat with the key while somebody else is driving.  If I let them.  I won't let them.  People don't drive my car.  Don't even bother asking.  Your answer is no.  
Anyway, though various recent bouts of trial and miserable failure, I've discovered that a great way to prevent the RFID signal of the key from reaching the car door is to hold my laptop between the two.  This makes a near perfect barrier, preventing the car from recognizing the key and unlocking the door.  This is unfortunately not as useful as you might think.  It's even less useful when it's -2 degrees in the parking lot. 

No comments: