Monday, September 26, 2011

Figured Out How To Make Titles Again!


One person’s “Deep Appreciation” is another person’s “Apathy”


Yeah, I don't really care.  


Your support means a lot, thanks!  


I see what you did there.


So today's Sametime Status is brought to you by the workers at the Adorably Tiny Cafeteria Thing In My Building, who are given full creative license over the signs posted around the place.  The same people that brought you Use Your Head When Toasting Bread post random signs throughout the ATCTIMB, some of which are useful, and some of which are borderline passive-aggressive.  They tell us what the price is for a hard-boiled egg (which I never see anybody buying, so I'm a little concerned about these things), and when a beverage fountain is out of order.  

Once in a while, when the cash registers are running low on change, a sign gets carted out which implores people to use smaller-denomination bills when paying for your goodies.  The sign says, and as near as I can remember, I'm quoting:  "Ones And Fives Would Be Deeply Appreciated."  It seems excessive to me that they add the word "Deeply" when describing the appreciation for ones and fives, so maybe I expect too much.  Not long ago, I was in line to buy about 3 bucks worth of stuff, and I had exactly $24 in my wallet (a $20 bill, and 4 $1s).  I could have easily paid with the 20-spot, but since the sign was out and I felt like I could have used some deep appreciation, I decided to go with paying in singles.  

I wasn't sure what was in store for me.  As much as I knew there would be no parade or fanfare for using small bills, I thought there may have actually been some sort of acknowledgment on their part for the fact that I saw the sign and actively chose to help them out.  I mean..."Deeply Appreciated" implies something more than simple appreciation, so I didn't think it was out of the realm to expect some sort of recognition.  Such was not the case...I got the same vacant stare off into space and mumbled "thanks" that I always get at that hour of the morning.  Probably the same reaction the next guy got when paying for his coffee with a 20. 

No comments: