Thursday, September 15, 2011

West Nile, Here I Come!

Eat a gyro outside, get 300 mosquito bites FREE!


How do you pronounce Gyro anyway?


Well, I've always called it "JAI ro" and think of people who pronounce it "HE ro" or "YEE ro" as overly pretentious snobs who just want to say it that way so they'll think they're better than you. Plus, every time I've been to one of the Gyro restaurants nearby (There were two before the one burned down), the people working in the place called it "JAI ro" so I'm going to go with that.

Anyway...not long ago, I decided to stop by the remaining Gyro place on my way to an event. I figured I could get my food, spend 5 minutes on a park bench eating my food, then be on my way. This was a great idea...it was a nice night, the gyro was tasty, it was quiet and scenic. You know who else thought it was a great idea? Every mosquito in a 10 mile radius.

You're probably aware (because of the wealth of weather-related posts here) that we've had an excess of rain up here in the Greater Jeremy Area. All of this rain has made the entire northeast into swampland replete with millions upon millions of extra mosquitoes. Whatever it is that eats mosquitoes hasn't been able to keep up, so I'm getting bitten a lot more than normal, or reasonable. Sitting on a park bench for 5 minutes makes me an even more vulnerable target, and however mosquitoes communicate, word apparently got out. I ended up wolfing down the second half of my gyro just to get out of the cloud of friggin insects. It was pretty obnoxious. I wanted to enjoy that gyro.

No comments: