Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Stop With Camel Time

As much as I hate Christmas music this time of year, I’m willing to make an exception for "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron."


Well, now that Hallowe'en is over, we're pretty much knee-deep in Christmas time now. Hope you didn't miss planning for Thanksgiving back in June. So who was playing Christmas music?


So the workers in the adorably tiny cafeteria thing at work have an equally adorably tiny CD player that they play during the day. They have a very eclectic mix of tunes they play ranging from Broadway to Big Band to 80's music and even surfer rock. It's all very mild and quite often gets an old song stuck in my head the rest of the morning. The other day, they were playing "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron."


Bold choice.


While Snoopy vs the Red Baron may itself not be Christmas Music, I'm quite familiar with the album, and knew pretty instantly that the final climactic showdown between Snoopy and Manfred von Richthofen occurs on Christmas morning. Spoiler Alert, since we know the real Red Baron was not shot down by a Beagle in a flying doghouse, and because it's a Children's story, neither character gets killed and they fly off their separate ways to continue their saga.


And you know this because...?


I know this because I used to have the record...and it may in fact still exist somewhere.


What's a record?


In hindsight, I probably should have taken a little better care of the record now that I know That It's Selling For $80 On Amazon. Frig.


Is it that good a record?


Absolutely not. The dulcet (read: Dull) tones of The Royal Guardsmen with their formulaic "Let's add drama to the second verse by changing the pitch up by a step" music combine with some of the worst voice acting since "Steamboat Willie" (I actually didn't realize until years later that the guy was supposed to be characterizing different people) to create pure aural crap that must have thrilled my parents to no end when I played it over and over and over and over and over.

But that doesn't matter...it's Snoopy!

Of course, later in life, I downloaded mp3 versions of all of the tracks and continue to enjoy them to this day. To be even more honest...after I heard it playing in the cafeteria, I came back to my office and listened to the entire saga on my computer. Life is good. Who wants some egg nog?

1 comment:

Willie Y said...

Because of this post I am going out right now to download the newest hit from the Royal Guardsmen "Snoopy vs. Osama."

http://payplay.fm/royalguardsmen